Bruce A. Campbell
Phone: (972) 277-8585
Fax: (972) 277-8586
Contact: Contact Me
Bruce A. Campbell is managing shareholder with the law firm of Campbell & Associates Law Firm, P.C. He is a member of the College of the State Bar of Texas. He has defended and sued lawyers and other professionals on a variety of malpractice and other tort claims for more than 25 years. He has defended numerous lawyers before the grievance committee of the State Bar of Texas.
Mr. Campbell is admitted to practice in Texas State Courts, in all federal courts in the State of Texas, in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, and in the Supreme Court of the United States.
He is the former co-chairman of the Dallas Bar Ethics Committee. He is the former Chairman of the Steering Committee for the Professional Liability Underwriting Society. He is a member of the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers. He is a Life Member of Kingston’s National Registry of Who’s Who.
He is a member of the Risk Management Hotline for Shand Morahan & Company, Inc.
He has received an AV Peer Review Rating. (An AV rating is a significant accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. A lawyer must be admitted to the bar for 10 years or more to receive an AV rating. [https://martindale.com/ratings_explanation])
Mr. Campbell graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Doane College, and received his law degree from Southern Methodist University in 1983.
Johnson ex rel. Johnson v. Chesnutt, 225 S.W.3d 737 (Tex.App. – Dallas 2007)
Mr. Campbell is regularly consulted as an expert witness on legal malpractice and legal ethics issues. He has been designated by the State Bar of Texas as an expert witness in a lawyer disciplinary action. A sampling of cases in which he has testified is set forth below:
1. McIntyre v. Wilson, et al., Case No. 97-10572, 162nd Judicial District Court, Dallas, Texas. Concerning the standard of conduct for an attorney in asserting certain tort claims and the appropriateness of sanctions.
2. Epic Holdings v. McKool Smith et al., Case No. 3-98CV1294-H. U.S. Dist. Ct. Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division. Concerning the standard of care and the standard of conduct for lawyers, as well as various alleged breaches of duty emanating out of the disqualification of counsel.
3. Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee v. Wiley, Case No. DV 98-07382-C, 68th Judicial District Court, Dallas, Texas. Disqualification of counsel, sanctions and protection of confidential documents under a fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine based on ABA Op. 94-382 and In re Meaders, 968 S.W.2d 346 (Tex. 1998). The matter arose out of counsel and the Committee’s use of confidential and privileged documents received from an unauthorized source.
4. Preston National Bank v. Richard Jackson, Case No. DV99-4326; 191st Judicial District Court, Dallas, Texas. Concerning the standard of conduct for lawyers and the safekeeping of property requirements under Disciplinary Rule 1.14.
5. Fillmore v. Jordan et al., Cause No. DV99-00053; 101st Judicial District Court, Dallas, Texas. Concerning the establishment of the attorney client relationship, the standard of care and the standard of conduct of a lawyer in connection with a real estate transaction, and the lawyer’s notarizing of a deed without the signer being present.
6. Providian Bancservices v. Porter, Cause No. 48-178348-99; 48th Judicial District Court, Tarrant County, Texas. Concerning the standard of care and standard of conduct of lawyers in connection with a collection practice and the appropriateness of forfeiture of fees.
7. Marshall Restoration and Construction, Inc. v. Quinlan, Cause No. 95-12773-L; 193rd Judicial District, Dallas County, Texas. Concerning conflicts of interest, confidential information and disqualification of counsel in an office sharing arrangement.
8. Mohundro v. Jones & Cannon, Cause No. 2000-001559-3; County Court No. 3 Tarrant County, Fort Worth, Texas. Concerning the amount of reasonable attorneys fees in a sanctions motion.
9. In Re: M. P., Grievance Proceeding, Tarrant County, Fort Worth, Texas. Concerning conflicts of interest, trust account and other representation issues.
10. Butler v. Buchholz, Cause No. 00-10275, 192nd Judicial District, Dallas County, Texas. Concerning communications with a client and advice to a client during the course of litigation.
Areas of Practice
- Professional Malpractice
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas, 1983
Bachelor of Arts
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Major: Political Science
- Can a Defendant Rely on an “Advice-of-Counsel” Defense?, DRI Today, September 24, 2010
- Going Up: Elevator Clauses, Client Consent and Increased Billing Rates, Texas Lawyer, January 26, 2009
- Collectability, Deductibility, and Recoverability, Texas Lawyer, June 9, 2009
- It’s Time to Speak Up: Don’t Miss Out on Debate Over Professional Liability Insurance, Texas Lawyer, October 30, 2009
- Comment on Disciplinary Rules’ Proposed Amendments, Texas Lawyer, December 28, 2009
- Proposals Would Affect Conflict-of-Interest Rules, Texas Lawyer, May 17, 2010
- A Viewpoint on Disclosure of Malpractice Insurance by Texas Lawyers, American Bar Association, July, 2010
- Sanctions for Non-Practicing Licensed Attorneys, DRI Today, September 2, 2010
- Social Networking Sites Pose Risks for Lawyers and Would-Be Attorneys, Texas Lawyer, December 15, 2008
- A Primer on What Lawyers Can Say About Judges, Texas Lawyer, August 4, 2008
- The Risks of Drafting Wills for Family and Friends, Texas Lawyer, April 28, 2008
- Reflections on Ethical Issues in the Tripartite Relationship, Stafford Publications, Inc., March 27, 2008
- In Search of Consistency in Ethics Rules, texas Laywer, January 28, 2008
- Be Careful What You Say: A Lawyer May Be Recording You!, PLUS Journal, September, 2007
- The Impending “Sea Change” in Deferred Compensation, PLUS Journal, August, 2007
- Lawyer Conduct Issues for the Family Lawyer, State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section, 2003
- Lawyer Conduct Issues for the Worker’s Compensation Lawyer, March, 2003
- Will Going Bare Become Fashionable?, Headnotes, October, 2002
- Coverage Case Update for 2002, Loriman, 2002
- Been Laddened With 1.14 Problems?, Dallas Bar Ethics Committee Seminar, March, 2002
- Enrons Counsel: How Will They Fare?, New & Views, Vol. XV Number 4, 2002
- The Rise of Third Party Claims Against Lawyers, Center for International Legal Studies, Kitzbuhl, Austria, January, 2001
- A Transactional Lawyer’s Nightmare: Conflicts of Interest Malpractice and Other Ethical Pitfalls, Dallas Bar, Real Estate Section, September, 1999
- A Rearview Mirror, Review of 1998 Texas Disciplinary Actions, December, 1999
- Lady or the Tiger: Opening the Door to Lawyer Disciplinary Standards, Fla. Coastal L. Rev., Vol. 1, Summer, 1999
- To Squeal or Not to Squeal: A Thinking Lawyers Guide to Rule 8.03, Tex. B.J., January, 1999
- To Squeal or Not to Squeal: A Thinking Lawyers Guide to Rule 8.03, Fla. Coastal L. Rev., Vol. 1, Summer, 1999
- Tending Your Garden, Texas Lawyer, November 9, 1998
- …Of Greener Grass, Bigger Bucks and Open Septic Tanks…Law Firm Breakups and Spin-offs, 61 Tex. B. J. 322, April, 1998
- …Of Greener Grass, Bigger Bucks and Open Septic Tanks…Law Firm Breakups and Spin-offs, Law Office Management, West Publishing Group, August, 1998
- Legal Ethics for Non-Lawyers, Attorney Resources, Inc., Fall, 1997
- Bells & Whistles that Put Bucks in Your Pocket, Headnotes, December, 1997
- The Expanding Insurance Net, Texas Lawyer, December, 1997
- Law Firm Break-ups, Spin-offs and Other Assorted Changes in Practicing Law, News & Views, July, 1997
- Law Firm Break-ups, Spin-offs and Other Assorted Changes in Practicing Law, News & Views, August, 1997
- Law Firm Break-ups, Spin-offs and Other Assorted Changes in Practicing Law, Insurance Record Vol. LXIII, LXIV, October 9, 1997
- The Top Ten Acts That Will Lead to a Malpractice Claim Against a Lawyer, Dallas Bar Association, February 10, 1997
- The Expanding Universe of Non-Client Conflict-of-Interest Liability, (Co-Author), News & Views, October, 1996
- The Expanding Universe of Non-Client Conflict-of-Interest Liability, (Co-Author), Great American Insurance Company
- What Every Lawyer Should Know About Malpractice Insurance, Headnotes, March 15, 1996
- What Every Lawyer Should Know About Malpractice Insurance, Professional Liability Insurance Services, Inc.
- Can You Rely on Advice Given by Your Consultant’s Lawyer, Risk Management Newsletter, May, 1996
- Is D&O Insurance for Bankers Disappearing?, The D&O Book: A Comparison Guide to Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Policies (Co-Author), Winter, 1994
- Limited Liability Companies in Texas, Professional Liability Issues for Players and Limited Partnerships, (Co-Author), Professional Educational Services, Inc., 1993
- Attorney Fees, Elevator Clauses and Other Fee Creatures, Tarrant County Bar Association, May 26, 2009
- Recent Developments in Directors and Officers Liability, Monitor Liability Managers, Inc., April 8, 2009
- Billing Guidelines and Ethical Issues for Insurance Defense Counsel, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Section, February 28, 2009
- Errors and Omissions Issues, Union Standard Insurance Group and Monitor Liability Managers, Inc., October 30, 2008
- Been Laddened With 1.14 Problems?, Dallas Bar Ethics Committee Seminar, 2002
- Presentation, The Rise of Third Party Claims Against Lawyers, Center for International Legal Studies, Kitzbuhl, Austria, 2001
- Presentation, A Transactional Lawyer’s Nightmare: Conflicts of Interest Malpractice and Other Ethical Pitfalls, Dallas Bar Real Estate Section, 1999
- The Top Ten Acts That Will Lead to a Malpractice Claim Against a Lawyer, Dallas Bar Ethics Committee, Ethics Seminar, 1997
Honors and Awards
Life Member, Kingston’s National Registry of Who’s Who
Professional Associations and Memberships
College of the State Bar of Texas
Co-Chairman, Ethics Committee
Professional Liability Underwriting Society
Chairman, Steering Committee
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- 1958, Cleveland, Ohio